GET READY for your job search: Create an Attention Grabbing Resume & Cover Letter
Companies see hundreds of resumes for every position, highlight your top selling points. You’re getting a 14-second glance! A resume needs to be informative, organized and show how you match the job description. Start with the basics, but personalize it to highlight YOU. What sets you apart from the competition? Include objective, skills, education, work history and awards. The goal of your resume is to get an interview. Once you are in the interview you can give more details.
What are some of the most important tips when writing a cover letter?
- A cover letter is your advertisement- “Pick me for an interview”
- Whenever possible, address your cover letter the specific hiring manager
- Grab the reader’s attention- Focus on the fit between your qualifications and the job
- Highlight three to four key accomplishments/skills/experiences and sell yourself
- Avoid all types of mistakes- DOUBLE CHECK
- Include your updated contact information (seems like common sense, but you’d be surprised)
- Short and sweet– an employer doesn’t have time to read a novel!